Thursday, March 10, 2011

My kid in hockey?

So now that I have publicly established myself as a smother mother, I have to wade into the issue of violence in professional hockey.

My 9 year old son wants to play hockey in September and my husband and I have agreed. We hate the violence, but it is part of life to deal with risk, so we can't keep him in a bubble forever. He is passionate about hockey and desperately wants to play.

The most recent incident in professional hockey does not sit well with us.

Right now our son plays tennis. If another player approached him in the heat of a tight match and hit him in the head with a tennis racquet they would be charged with assault. If he was injured in any way it would be assault with intent to cause bodily harm, and if they broke his neck, it would be attempted manslaughter. Yet in hockey, a grown man who does the equivalent does not even end up on the bench. This is truly a disgusting chapter in the history of an otherwise proud sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment