Thursday, March 10, 2011

My son is growing up

So it is March and it is raining half of the time and snowing the other half of the time. I think it is fair to say that this isn't anyone's favourite time of the year. It is dark and cold and damp - yuk! However, March Break starts tomorrow and there are several hundred thousand students out there who will argue that this IS their favourite time of the year, so I guess it's just all in how you look at things.

So this morning my 9 year old son said that he wanted to walk to the bus stop alone. He said it yesterday and I insisted on going with him, but today when he said it I said okay. I know that he is going to be 10 in a few months and I need to give him little pieces of freedom and independence or he will grow up all messed up, but it is really difficult to let go. There is no doubt that I am a protective mother and my tendency to smother is augmented by the fact that we only moved to this neighborhood a few months ago and we don't know many people here yet.

I was really happy last night when he shared something that happened at school yesterday. Normally when asked how it went at school he just says "good" and that's it. He told me that he had to present his science project to the class - all 43 grade four students. He told me that it went well and that he received an A-, but that he was really scared. I was proud of him for doing so well and happy that he shared his experience with me. I guess it's time to sign him up for the "home alone" program - because that will certainly be the next thing.


Having kids is awesome. Letting them grow up is hard. Watching my son walk down the street and get on the bus from the upstairs window instead of standing beside him is tough too.

No comments:

Post a Comment